You can easily hide your photo albums on an iPhone by making a private album.Leon Neal/Getty Images
While the iPhone allows you to hide photos, it doesn't provide much security, as your images can still be easily found if someone knows where to look.
In order to create a truly private album that's password-protected, you'll need to download a third-party app.
While there are several different apps that you can use to protect your iPhone images, Photo Vault is one of the more commonly used ones.
Here's how to use it.Check out the products mentioned in this article:How to make a private album on an iPhone using Photo Vault
1. Download the Photo Vault app from the App Store. On the App Store, it's called Private Photo Vault - Pic Safe, and its icon is a folder with a key going inside of it.
2. Open the Photo Vault app.
3. Tap Start.
4. Tap Set Passcode and type in your desired four-digit password.
5. Confirm your passcode on the following screen.
6. You can setup a pin recovery option in the event that you forget your passcode. If you click Setup, you'll be prompted to enter your email address on the next page.
7. Once you've opted in or out of setting up pin recovery, tap Next on the following two screens.
8. Tap I Agree to complete the process, if you're okay with the app's terms and conditions. You can check them out by visiting this page.
9. You'll be brought to an Albums page. Tap on Main Album to get started.
10. Tap the + in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
11. You'll have the option to import from your photo library, or take a new picture with your camera. You'll likely be using the former, so tap on the icon above Photo Library.
Tap the orange icon above Photo Library to begin important pictures from your Photos app into Photo Vault.Christina Liao/Business Insider
12. The app will request access to your photos. Tap OK.
13. It'll pull up all of the albums in your iPhone's Photos app. Tap on the album where you've stored the pictures that you'd like to privatize.
14. Tap on the photos you'd like to put into your private album. A checkmark in a green circle should appear in the bottom-right corner of your selected image(s).
Once you've selected a photo, a white checkmark in a green circle will appear in the bottom right corner of each image.Christina Liao/Business Insider
15. Tap Done once you've selected all of the photos you'd like to put into the locked album.
16. Once you've tapped Done, you'll have the option to delete the pictures you've imported into the Photo Vault app from your iPhone's Photos app. Tap Delete to do this, or Cancel to keep them.
In order to truly privatize your images, you'll want to delete the pictures you've imported into Photo Vault from your Photos app.Christina Liao/Business Insider
17. If you do decide to delete the copies, you'll be prompted to confirm your choice. Tap Delete to complete the process.
18. A message will appear to confirm that the photos have been deleted. Tap OK.
19. Now, you'll want to delete the photos that imported into Photo Vault from your Photos app's trash to ensure that they can't be found unless you're signing into Photo Vault. First, open the Photos app on your iPhone.
20. Scroll down and tap Recently Deleted.
Don't forget to delete the photos you imported into Photo Vault from your Recently Deleted folder.Christina Liao/Business Insider
21. Tap Select in the top-right corner and tap the photos that you imported into Photo Vault.
22. Tap Delete.Add an extra layer of security in Photo Vault
1. If you'd like an extra layer of security beyond the pin number that you chose, swipe left over the Main Album tab, and you'll see a gray box with Edit appear. Tap Edit.
When you swipe left on Main Album, you'll be able to edit the folder and enter an additional password for an extra layer of security.Christina Liao/Business Insider
2. You'll then be prompted to enter a password, which can be a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Re-enter it, and then tap Save once done.
Insider receives a commission when you buy through our links.